Tuesday, March 9, 2010 | by Newlywed | Labels: Blog Giveaways, Freebies, trends |
But there’s a line that’s often forgotten:
“A sixpence in her shoe.”
Why a sixpence? Well, according to Scottish lore, a groom used to put a silver coin under his shoe for good luck. It became a Victorian tradition with the bride putting a sixpence in her left shoe to represent wealth and financial security.
This is a tradition I hadn’t heard of until I came across Aimee’s shop, Mon Amour Boutique, on Etsy. Specializing in sixpence cards for brides, Aimee is bringing the sixpence tradition back into fashion. Aimee sent me a lovely handmade sixpence card. The cards come with a sixpence coin attached and can be custom made with your colors. With the rhyme to remind of the lucky items, it makes a cute personal gift for the bride on her wedding day…or if you just want to give yourself a little bit of good luck! And maybe down the line, it can be something to pass on to your daughter on her wedding day. Introducing Aimee from Mon Amour Boutique!
What made you decide to sell sixpences as keepsakes?
This past summer I married my best friend Christopher . When my bridesmaids threw me a surprise bridal shower, I was gifted with my own sixpence from one of my girls. The idea of having something to pass down to my daughter on her wedding day really struck a chord with me. I am all about meaningful traditions. Thus, the idea of sharing this tradition with other brides inspired me.
I also create handcrafted ‘Will you be my bridesmaid? ’ or ‘Thank you for being my bridesmaid’ cards. Most of us think long and hard about those we want with us on our most important day, so why not ask them or thank them in a meaningful way for standing with us. The cards can be personalized and make a great keepsake for your girls.
What sparked your interest in making wedding items?
Other than loving everything to do with weddings? I specifically loved the idea that working with brides would allow me to create items that reflect the unique personalities and styles of each individual.
What else can we expect to see from you in the future?
I am working on a collection of handcrafted non-floral boutonnieres. I have come to realize they are a lot of fun to make and the creative possibilities are just about endless.
What is the best advice you can give to brides on their wedding day?
Don't think you have to spend a lot of money to have a beautiful wedding! There are so many great websites and blogs out there that offer unlimited DIY projects, freebies, and cost saving tips. Joining a wedding blog was the best thing I could have done. Not only did I receive a lot of inspiring tips and ideas, I formed a lot of great relationships with brides I now consider friends.
Links where we can find out more of your work:
Aimee has been gracious in giving one lucky winner a sixpence card in colors of their choice!
1) Go to Mon Amour Boutique on Etsy and comment on your favorite item for one entry! This is mandatory! Contestants who do not do this will be disqualified. Remember to leave your email address or some way to contact you with each entry!
You can add more comments to increase your chance to win if you do the following (please leave a separate comment for each additional entry):
2) Become a new follower of this blog (1 entry)
3) Are currently a follower of my blog (2 entries or 2 separate comments!)
4) Become a facebook fan of “I Do” Budget Weddings (2 entries or 2 separate comments)
5) Become a facebook fan of Mon Amour Boutique. (2 entries or 2 separate comments)
6) Blog about the contest and include a link to the giveaway. You must also include a link to Mon Amour Boutique’s Etsy shop in your post (3 entries or 3 separate comments)
7) Buy anything from Mon Amour Boutique (5 entries or 5 separate comments)
8) Follow “I Do” Budget Weddings on Twitter (1 entry)
9) Tweet on this giveaway and include a link to this giveaway in your tweet. (1 entry)
The deadline to enter this contest is 11:59 p.m., Tuesday, March 23, 2010 (PST). A winner will be randomly chosen and announced the following day. Good luck! (This giveaway is closed)
* Don’t forget, you can still enter to win a set of handmade tile coasters from Coaster Creations!