As the host of this giveaway, I received a Tahitian blue pearl necklace from Kawai's shop...but don't let its simplicity fool you! This dainty piece, with it's shiny blue pearl and silver chain embodies understated island style.It's a timeless piece--simple, elegant...and did I mention affordable? The necklace came in a adorable lauhala--or palm weave--gift box. Wow...what presentation!
Introducing Kawailani from Kreations by Kawai!
Where are you from?
I was born and raised on the Big Island of Hawai’i, but currently reside on the island of ‘Oahu
What sparked your interest in creating jewelry?I initially started making jewelry as a hobby. However, that later lead to a more serious approach as family and friends complemented my jewelry pieces and actually made special requests. I was flattered when people who saw my jewelry worn by my family and friends asked where they could get that kind of jewelry. Since then I have done my best to perfect what I create and to venture out using different materials that would enable me to showcase the islands while keeping with current trends.
How long have you been creating jewelry?
I started creating jewelry about 6 years ago and have been creating ever since. I was recently lucky enough to have my jewelry featured in a few local boutiques.
What words would you use to describe your work?
Natural, elegant, feminine, fun, fresh, captivating and a must have J
What inspires your work?From the pristine black sand beaches on the Big Island of Hawai’i to the Honolulu City lights and Waikiki beach, each Hawaiian Island has a beauty and uniqueness all its own. It’s these qualities that are the inspiration for the jewelry that I create. I attempt to both capture and showcase the elements that make these islands paradise.
What are some distinct characteristics of Hawaiian jewelry?
I think Hawaiian jewelry has traditionally always been about sharing the beauty of the islands and giving the wearer a quick way to remember the fun and beauty of their vacation. However, not everyone has had the opportunity to visit Hawaii yet. With my jewelry I attempt to share just a small piece of Hawaii with those who haven’t visited and to remind those who have.
What is the most creative thing you've seen at a wedding?What did they do?One of the most creative things that I’ve seen at a wedding was when a friend of ours sky dived and parachuted in to meet his bride at the altar on a beach on the North Shore of ‘Oahu. The grooms wedding party did an aerial smoke show that preceded his one of a kind entrance!
Hawaii is a big travel destination, especially for honeymoons.
What would you say makes your island, ‘Oahu, unique from the other islands? ‘Oahu is unique from the other islands in that it truly has the best of all worlds. ‘Oahu is home to the beautiful white sand beaches of the North Shore, word class surfing spots, untouched rainforests and the night life of Waikiki. No matter what you’re looking for you can certainly find it here on ‘Oahu.
THE GIVEAWAY: Kawai has been so generous in giving one of my lucky winners a $20 gift certificate to her store!
1) Go to Kreations by Kawai on Etsy and comment on your favorite item for one entry! This is mandatory! Contestants who do not do this will be disqualified. Remember to leave your email address or some way to contact you with each entry!
You can add more comments to increase your chance to win if you do the following (please leave a separate comment for each additional entry):
2) Become a new follower of this blog (1 entry)
3) Are currently a follower of my blog (2 entries or 2 separate comments!)
4) Become a facebook fan of “I Do” Budget Weddings (2 entries or 2 separate comments)
5) Blog about the contest and include a link to the giveaway. You must also include a link to Kreations by Kawai's Etsy shop in your post (3 entries or 3 separate comments)
6) Buy anything from Kreations by Kawai (5 entries or 5 separate comments)
7) Heart Kreations by Kawai's shop on Etsy. (1 entry)
8) Follow “I Do” Budget Weddings on Twitter (1 entry)
9) Tweet on this giveaway and include a link to this giveaway in your tweet. (1 entry)
The deadline to enter this contest is 11:59 p.m., Saturday, March 27, 2010 (PST). A winner will be randomly chosen and announced the following day. Good luck!